- Education in the production of high-value nutritious crops, protein supplementation, water saving and improved agriculture techniques.
- Support to households and the larger community in developing skills and knowledge to improve their nutrition through the establishment of individual and community/group organic kitchen gardens using water saving and improved agricultural techniques to produce a variety of both indigenous and exotic crops.
- Developing knowledge in cereal banking with the aim of helping groups maximize the production and storage of nutritional supplements to safeguard against drought seasons and exploitation by middlemen.
- Training and developing individuals and community groups in animal husbandry (including poultry; goats; rabbits), to ensure adequate protein supplementation for community households.
- Our start-up packages provide seeds, tools and livestock for small farms – poultry and goats, etc.
- By training people in the effective use of stove liners to reduce firewood collection, optimized fuel consumption and improved hygiene and safety in kitchens, we are making a significant contribution to the enhanced health and well-being of all community members.
Economic empowerment is a key cornerstone of our approach to providing sustainable long-term solutions, which will truly endure. By helping people gain the skills and experience they need to secure economic independence, we are permanently breaking the cycle of dependency that has for so long robbed individuals and communities of the chance to live fulfilling and rewarding lives.
WHAT WE DO:
- We work with communities, groups and individuals to provide training, education and on-going support across a variety of areas within the remit of Economic Empowerment.
- We help to facilitate the development of micro-enterprises (eg. agriculture, agribusiness) through the provision of start-up finance, materials (e.g. goats, poultry, mills) and business training.
- We provide training on proposal writing, fundraising and marketing, connecting groups with suitable markets for their produce and skills.
- We expand and extend project management skills and entrepreneurship through the provision of training in financial resource management and the establishment of revolving community funds.
- We also identify and engage other sources of long-term funding and support and we train community groups in how to access funds and grants to the best effect and with greatest relevance and benefit to the community.
Less than 15% of women and children in the Turkana County are economically empowered. Only 40% of the youth access resources to build upon a FOUNDATION of self respect and as they progress through the program they will be aligned with mentors to assist in their development.
Our Foundation Radio media studies course. Through establishing a radio show which connects them with others on a similar path or a complimentary path-based programs are funded by donations, gifts, in kind contribution and offered to local marginalized communities to provide this important development empowerment towards improving their livelihoods.
Where We Work
There are more than 12 women groups, 6 youth groups, 6 support groups in the Turkana County, across the 8 Sub-Counties and we’re proud to offer our programs at different locations and rural villages. Get involved in one of our programs to learn about the wonders of nature, cultural experiences and see for yourself firsthand right in the communities.